Monday, September 15, 2008

Just for this day

This was an e-mail I received, that made me stop and think twice about all the stuff that didn't need to be done right away, and about all the important things I should be doing with my children. Hopefully we can all take a little extra time out of our busy schedules to spend a little extra time with the ones we love, giving them the love and attention they need!
Just for this morning, I am going to smile whenever I see your face
and laugh when I feel like crying.
Just for this morning, I will let you wake up softly,
all rumpled in your flannel and I will hold you until you are ready.
Just for this morning, I will let you choose what you want to wear,
and smile and say you're beautiful.
Just for this morning, I am going to step over the laundry,
and pick youup and take you to the park to play.
Just for this morning, I am going to eat a huge breakfast ,
with bacon eggs, toast and waffles, and you don't have to eat any.
Just for this morning, I will leave the dishes in the sink,
and let you teach me how to put that 100 piece puzzle together.
Just for this afternoon, I will unplug the telephone and keep the computer off,
and sit with you in the garden blowing bubbles.
Just for this afternoon, I will not yell once, not even a tiny grumble
when you scream and whine for the ice cream truck,
and I will buy you one if he comes by.
Just for this afternoon, I won't worry about what you are going to be
when you grow up or who you might have been before your diagnosis.
Just for this afternoon, I will let you help me bake cookies,
and I won't stand over you trying to 'fix' things.
Just for this afternoon, I will let you put all kinds of barettes in my hair,
and put lipstick on my face, and I will tell you how pretty you have made me look.
Just for this afternoon I will take you to McDonalds
and buy us both a Happy meal so you can have both toys.
Just for this evening, I will hold you in my arms and tell you a story
about how you were born, and how much we love you.
Just for this evening, I will let you splash in the bathtub
and not get angry when you throw water over your sister's head.
Just for this evening, I will let you stay up late while we sit
on the porch swing and count all the stars.
Just for this evening, I will bring you glasses of water,
and snuggle beside you for three hours and miss my favorite show on t.v.
Just for this evening, When I kneel down to pray,
I will simply begrateful for all that I have
and not ask for anything, except just one more day.
Sally Meyer C. 1999.
No portion of this poem may be reproduced, copied, or forwarded, without express written permission by the author.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jodi
I wanted to write to let you know that the poem on your blog today is a scam.

I know, because I am the author of the poem in question. It has been used as a scam in many instances. I wrote the poem in 1999. If you do a simple google search for
Sally Meyer Poems, you will see that I am telling the truth.

Please contact me, so that if you wish to keep the poem on your site, you can attach my copyright information, and also the original text.

Sally